The broadest, and maybe the most meaningful definition of volunteering: Doing more than you have to – because you want to – for a cause you consider good.
Florida Boxer Rescue is always in need of volunteers. If you’d like to be involved, but you are unsure what you can do to help, we have compiled the following list of ways ANYONE can help. Without our volunteers, Florida Boxer Rescue could not exist, and no matter how small or how large your contribution is, it is invaluable to us!
Here is a list of the ways YOU can help make a difference in the life of an FBR Boxer.
- Foster a boxer in need. FBR is always looking for quality foster homes. Please visit our Foster page to see what’s involved to decide if fostering might be for you.
- Transport a boxer being adopted or fostered. Many of our volunteers work full time jobs. Help with getting boxers to and from shelters, vets and meet-and-greet events is always needed and appreciated.
- Donate beds, toys and crates. While a Boxer waits for their forever family to come and adopt them they need a warm place to sleep and toys to play with.
- Donate bowls and food. Feeding one Boxer can be expensive, the costs of feeding many can be astronomical.
- Donate a wire crate.
- Donate leashes and collars. While waiting to be adopted, the Boxers will need to be walked and leash trained.
- Donate postage stamps. We mail a Donation/Holiday Letter each year to hundreds of people.
- Give a gift certificate to a pet store so the rescue organization can get needed supplies.
- Make a monetary donation. FBR does charge an adoption fee for our Boxers, but in many instances these fees do not even come close to covering veterinary expenses. Maybe you’d like to sponsor a portion of our 800 number monthly cost or sponsor one of our Boxers that is in need of extensive medical care. In any case, your donation is ALWAYS appreciated.
- Offer to take photos of FBR’s boxers up for adoption. You can even offer to make flyers on particular dogs and post them at pet supply stores or local vet clinics.
- Offer your professional services, if you work in an area outside of pets and can offer your expertise in the area you are trained. Maybe you are an accountant and can offer to do the tax returns or maybe an IT expert that can help with website and IT issues. Just think about what job skills you have that may be of use.
- Donate dog-related items for auctions and raffles the organization may offer.
- Conduct a yard sale and donate the proceeds. Or simply donate garage sale items to FBR for one of our many garage sales.
- Offer to assist in a fundraiser or other public event.
- Take time to tell other friends and family members about the rescue organization. Many times our contacts are looking for a Boxer and might not even know about Boxer Rescue adoptions.
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to complete and submit our online APPLICATION. Please note that we have only one application for adoption, fostering or volunteering. You might be wondering why you would need to answer all the questions as if you were applying to adopt if you are only wanting to volunteer – and there are two reasons. The first is that as a volunteer, you will become a spokesperson for our organization and we need to know what your vetting practices are for your own pets, that you believe strongly in spay and neuter, and your philosophy regarding training. All of this is covered in our application. The second reason is that quite often someone starts with FBR wanting to volunteer only and then circumstances may change and you find you want to either foster a dog for us or adopt. If you are already approved for all three – it just makes life simpler!