So, you’re ready to adopt a Boxer from Florida Boxer Rescue? Before beginning the adoption process, please review the information below:
The following requirements must be met before an adoption can take place:
- Applications will be accepted from the following Florida counties: Citrus, Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Hernando, Hendry, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lake, Lee, Manatee, Marion, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, Seminole and Sumter.
- All pets that you currently have must be fully vetted. This includes that they be spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccinations, and on monthly heartworm preventative. We will contact your vet for verification.
- You must be 21 years of age and living on your own.
- We do not adopt out dogs as gifts or surprises. Absolutely no exceptions.
- If you rent your home, you will be required to provide your landlord’s name, address and phone number. FBR requires landlord approval for all renters.
- Adopting a female if you currently have a female. From our considerable experience in dog placement, we believe that placing a female into a home with a female already in residence, is oftentimes not the best situation and therefore have a standard policy not to do so. If you wish for an exception to be made to this policy, we will evaluate your adoption request, taking all factors -such as age, breed and temperament – into consideration.
The Adoption Process
Before we can begin the adoption process, you must complete and submit the online Application to Adopt. Once we have received your completed application, the adoption process will move forward as explained below. We realize this may seem like a lot, and it may even seem invasive to some, but we want to ensure successful adoptions of our Boxers, so please bear with us. In addition, most of our volunteers work full time and have families of their own to care for, and we do our best to see that all applications are processed in a timely fashion, but we do ask that you please have patience.
- An FBR volunteer will review your application, check your veterinary references and ownership of property . Once this preliminary screening is done, you will be contacted by an FBR volunteer to discuss your application, answer any questions you have about the approval process, and schedule a home visit. A home visit is conducted prior to adoption to meet your family and any pets you may have to ensure that the best possible placement is made for both you and our Boxer, and to ensure the Boxer has a safe and loving environment to call home.
- After completion of the home visit FBR’s adoption committee will then review all the information and notify you of your application status. If you do not hear from us within 7 days of your home visit, please contact us using the form on our Contact Us page.
- Once you have been approved, your FBR contact will begin working with you to find your new Boxer.
- It is important not to fall in love with a picture online before your application has been approved. Often times, a dog can be adopted while your application is being processed, and we don’t want anyone to be disappointed. Please be patient and we’ll help you find the perfect addition to your family once you’ve been approved.
- Please be aware that we often have more than one applicant interested in the same Boxer. In that case, the home best suited for the dog will be chosen for placement. FBR does not do adoptions on a first come – first served basis, and in many cases we may make a recommendation depending on where we think he or she will be a successful addition to your family.
- After finding a Boxer that you and FBR agree would be a good potential match for you, arrangements will be made for you to meet the Boxer at the foster home or at one of our meet and greet events. These arrangements will be coordinated by your FBR volunteer contact and the foster home. Please note: You must be willing to travel to meet the Boxer wherever it is being fostered.
- In some cases, we may feel that a particular Boxer is not a good match for you and your family and please do not be offended by this. FBR does not take the placement of our dogs lightly, and we strive to do our best to ensure that each placement is forever, as many of these Boxers have led very unstable lives before coming into our program and we only want what is best for them. We have strict guidelines for adoption approval and our volunteers have the right to refuse adoption applicants based on their own judgment.
Now that you have been matched with a wonderful Boxer to adopt, there are only a few items remaining in this process.
Please remember these adoption fees are to help cover the medical costs of all the Boxers in our care, and that often the medical care for each dog far exceeds the amount of the adoption fee. Each dog being adopted has had a thorough health exam, current vaccinations, heartworm test, fecal, spay/neuter and microchip. Many dogs have also required additional tests, surgeries and/or heartworm treatment.
- 8 weeks of age through 6 months – $400.00
- 7 months of age through 12 months – $350.00
- 13 months of age through 6 years – $275.00
- 7 years of age and older – $200.00
- Boxer mix dogs of any age – $150.00
- There is a small administrative fee of $50.00 to adopt a Boxer we have listed on our site bearing the designation Owner Surrender.
The big day has arrived and you are ready to take home your new family member.
- Upon adoption, FBR will have you sign a legally binding adoption contract and pay the adoption fee. If there ever comes a time when you must give up your Boxer, he or she MUST be returned to FBR as stated in the adoption contract. You will further agree that the FBR tag provided will remain on your Boxer at all times, and we must be notified if your Boxer is ever lost or stolen. We have many resources in the area that could help in locating your Boxer should such an event ever take place.
- Be prepared for the arrival of your new Boxer, please click here for a list of items that FBR recommends you have on hand when your new Boxer comes home.
- We will contact you following the adoption of your Boxer, to be sure everyone is adjusting and to answer any questions you may have. You may also contact us at any time regarding your adopted Boxer.
- We ask that you please stay in touch after adoption as our Boxers always remain in our hearts, and updates/photos from time to time letting us know how they are doing are always appreciated, often bringing smiles when most needed in our mission of rescue.